From:
Guido Poppe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 14:52:29 +0800
Dear Dick,

thanks for coming back on the question. The mistakes you pointed out
I got already the remarks of course from readers , so you are very
right. The reason of this kind of bibliographic references I'll
explain in private to you.

It is true that we have in Conchology, Inc. an excellent facility and
probably the biggest conchological library in southeast Asia, but we
are not in the financial situation that we can do anything. Among
others, Visaya is still a financial loss for the company, as people
today apparently prefer the web as source of information than
journals. But we will give Visaya a chance and reevaluate every
year.  There was big enthusiasm on my recent trip to Japan and among
the people I regularly meet here and in Europe, so let's continue.

Furthermore, I'm not "against" the system. Disappointed as how the
system works today, yes, for many reasons not to mention here. I
think I'm not alone in this situation.  Your last sentence "Why not
have the best possible journal ?" invites to a lot of thinking.

Actually Dick, we never considered the Visaya as a "top scientific"
journal - although there is a lot of science in there if taxonomy is
still considered as such. Our goal was, is, mainly to do better than
journals such as La Conchiglia, Of Sea and Shore and so many others
which have a rather non professional graphic style - mainly because
they are made by non-professionals. I here do not "attack" these
journals because first they are all made by good friends of mine and
I admire their hard work and enjoy very much these journals.  Almost
all journals are on the decline. We thought that their quality in
edition and the delays they have are for much in there. From where
Visaya.  The number of articles submitted confirms this - 143 pages
for the number 5 and many still waiting.
Visaya got never the pretention to be a Veliger, Nautilus or
Molluscan Research.  However, I'll think things over, and if we find
the reviewers who can return the manuscripts in two weeks....

Best regards,

Guido,very hot today on Mactan. Middle of the afternoon.