From:
Doug Stemke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:07:20 -0400
Hello All.

   I'm currently in the enviable position at Elon University (North
Carolina, USA) of haveing to purchase several books for the University's
library collection (they are actually begging me to purchase more books).
The University is a small University (about 5,000 students) is growing
fast with a very active biology department. I have an extensive
conchological library myself but wanted to get a sence of maybe 8 books
for the collection.  They already blundered once and purchased the 1954
copy of American Seashells rather than than the 1974 edition I had
requested. That notwithstanding we have Abbot/Dances's Compendium and
beyond that the typical Kingdom of the Seashells, a few East Coast/NC
field guides, and a few old picture books.  But I was wondering what other
books that you would see as great editions to a collection of this type (I
would note that there currently are no scholars of Conchology at Elon).

Also I heard a rumor that there was going to be a new edition to American
Seashells, any trueth to that?