From:
Andy Rindsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 10:31:50 -0600
Dear Art,

Well, not always. Most marine animals have no way of telling how deep the
water is, but respond to other factors such as light, oxygen, temperature,
and wave energy. It is common for species that occur on continental slopes
in tropical and temperate regions to be found at much shallower depths on
continental shelves in boreal regions such as Norway. For this reason, some
ecologists prefer to replace the term "bathyal" (referring more or less to
continental slope depths) by "archibenthal" (referring to a realm that also
includes shallower but still very cold seafloors near the poles). But where
Epitonium is concerned, I bow to your expertise.

Andy

Andrew K. Rindsberg
Geological Survey of Alabama