From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jan 2006 15:47:43 -0500
Dear list-folk,

A friend of mine just alerted me that there was an item on the radio
talking about the devastation of wetlands across the Southeast US due
to an army of snails. I couldn't imagine what he was talking about but
I thought, if anything, it might be one of the introduced landsnails in
Florida.

No, they're talking about Littorina irrorata:

All Things Considered, December 18, 2005   A few years ago, for
reasons nobody fully understood, salt marshes in the Southeast started
turning into barren mudflats, where the few remaining patches of grass
were covered with hordes of snails. A new paper in Science explains
what happened and why it might happen again in the future if global
temperatures rise.

There's a link to an audio file report at npr.org

I don't remember this being discussed on the list.

David Kirsh