Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 21:40:00 -0500
Emilio,

You wrote,

> Errrr....Ross,
>
> Happy landsnailing! BTW, Polymitas are only found on the Eastern end of
> Cuba,
> Oriente Province as defined pre Castro era, it is definitely not a
> North American Treesnail. Wake up man!! Even the old sections of the
> seven mile bridge, at
> Marathon, are not now recognized as USA Territory.
>
> Happy trails to yoouuu!
>
> Emilio

I will disagree with you that Polymita are not North American tree snails.
To make certain I checked the National Geographic Atlas. North America
includes Canada, The US, Mexico, Central America and islands in the
Caribbean including Cuba.

The Cuban fauna is biogeographically neotropical, not nearctic, however,
it is still geographically (in the geo-political sense) North American.

(ps. I do enjoy your web pages and I will never get into a debate over
which are more attractive Polymita or Liguus!)

Regards,
Charlie
Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Assistant Professor - Family Medicine