From:
Rosemary Payne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 06:14:06 -0000
"Rare shells are rare only because their habitat is relitively unknown."

Perhaps so in some cases; but not in others - looking at better-known groups
of plants and animals, like orchids, birds and mammals, some species are
genuinely rare and vulnerable for a variety of reasons - some are losing out
to competition from newer models, some are dependent on very small habitats
or niches that are disappearing, some are being picked on by a particular
pathogen or predator (sometimes that means us ...).

The risk in making this statement is that it gets to be used to justify
collecting - and over-collecting - vulnerable species.  Species do get wiped
out by overcollecting - there are plenty of examples among birds and
orchids.   It's possible to wipe out very common species very fast if you
don't think about and keep an eye on impact.

If there's any doubt, surely the golden rule is to wait before you collect
any live shells until you've seen plenty of specimens at that time and in
that locality, and then to be restrained in the number you take.  Do you
want to be the person who shot the last passenger pigeon?

Bas