From:
Marcus Coltro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:53:24 -0300
We had several Xenophora robusta in the past days, all had a brownish base.
However, Keen says the shell can be white with brown aperture as yours.
The attachments seems to be from W. America, Glycymeris multicostata,
Argopecten ventricosus, Anadara adamsi (or aequatorialis)

Marcus

Marcus Coltro
WWW.FEMORALE.COM

Dear all

I am in front of an orange mouthed Xeno, WHICH has been labelled Robusta by
Sir TUK (the unknown collector), but the data does not indicate a
locality...
(In fact, there's no data at all)
I understand that this shell is found on both sides of tropical America,
from the Gulf of Mexico to the Gulf of California, and it could be a form or
a subspecies of Conchyliophora... Right or partially wrong ?

The attachments don't give me any useful info, as the little pectinids glued
on belong to a species THAT I am unable to identify: Argopecten circularis
(W. Mexico to Peru) or Argopecten gibbus (N. Carolina to Brasil). Some other
shells might be of interest for the ID: an Arcid, a Glycymeris, and also
something odd and very nice, as you will see on the pictures I put there:

http://www.idscaro.net/sci/03_myst/xenomyst1.htm

3 pics, 180Ko.