From:
Leslie Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2006 14:07:10 GMT
Hello David
I have collected Casmaria ponderosa atlantica in 25 ft on Isla Utila in
Honduras, west side of the bay, in the grasses, along with coral rubble.

Casmaria s.s. by it's nature are variable, including C. atlantica. I have seen
them with heavy shells to extremely light and dwarf as is mine.  With little
coloring to almost brown, from smooth to heavily spined on the lip, and spots
and patterns are really irrelevant.  I have hundreds of C. erinaceous &
ponderosa varieties in my collection that illustrate this.

What I don't remember anymore are the differences between C. ponderosa complex
and the members of the C. erinaceous complex (i.e. vibex's)

Leslie

----------------

Hi David,

the spiral row of spots is the typical pattern for atlantica, but it is
quite variable. In fact, there are specimens e.g. from the Bahamas that
cannot be distinguished from Casmaria ponderosa nipponensis (supposed to be
an indopacific species).The other extreme are specimens with a rather pale
coloration, with a touch of mauve and almost no spots. Maybe you can share
a picture?

Compared to the other species of Casmaria, atlantica seems to prefer depths
from 80 to 200 feet. At least I haven't heard of any been seen at minus
tides or just a couple of feet. As you asked directly for diving experience
I should add that these data don't come from diving experience but from the
specimens in my collection.

Hope this helps,
Tilo

>Listers,
>
>Anyone encounter Casmaria ponderosa atlantica? While diving or on the
>beach?
>
>I found one on the edge of the exposed reef in Belize. There is no
>spiral row of brown spots on this one.
>
>David
Kirsh