From:
Kathryn Goguen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2007 07:55:00 -0500
I have been to a couple of bourses at the conventions, but most of my shells
come from regular monthly shell auctions.  I have always been pleased with
the quality and the packaging and the documentation.  Early on, I bought a
few shells on eBay with much less satisfaction, so now I only purchase from
these auctions that group reliable dealers, or from the dealers themselves.
The postage is very reasonable, and I always consult Rice's prices to get a
feel for the current value, and other book sources to compare
appearance/size.
I probably wouldn't even HAVE a shell collection if I didn't buy from
internet mail order/auctions - since I am landlocked and not a sea-going
person.  Also, if a shell is found in the Phillipines, Australia, Japan, it
makes sense to me to order from those locations, not the US.
My collection is for my own satisfaction, not monetary value, and I always
look forward to getting a new shell, or winning the bid.
Kay