Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 23:01:40 -0400
mark wrote:

> Good morning Sir Ross, by the way your  parts are on the way .
> We are directly in it's (George) path and I don't think we'll be so lucky
> this time , i plan to ride it out here on the beach so i can be the first
> out to collect. Maybe i can do a blow by blow coverage , how about hurricane
> cam? the track is low of the islands , this usually indicates a direct
> Florida hit. has anyone have any hints for dredging in storm surge? ferreter

To Mark/Peta and anyone else thinking alike: The shelling was fair, no
live specimens but many large dead ones and strange toothy eels
everywhere but after riding through the outer bands of Andrew, seeing my
parents and siblings homes destroyed a few miles away in Homestead,
after watching our screens blow away, hearing the freight train outside
and cowering in the concrete lined kitchen wondering when the windows
would finally blow in and destroying all we've worked for (I was more
afraid for material things than our lives at that time, is that sick or
what?!), after all that I would not recommend anyone stay THAT close to
the water, if you do, be ready to move at a seconds notice to higher
floors and stay in the kitchen or the hallways where the concrete in
those buildings is thickest, have plenty of water, food and sterno ready
because it goes faster than you think especially when you are bathing
with a wash rag and a water bottle.  The afterwards can be pretty scary
too..when we went to scour the beach and power lines were all over the
streets sparking and spitting fire, water mains were shooting on the
streets like cannons and worst of all...the South Floridians on the road
who are usually crazy were even more crazy and each intersection where
the lights were out for weeks, became a eery, scary game of chicken.
So, take it all as you like, I understand why you want to stay but if I
were you I would get away from the beach (at least your car)if the winds
are over 80 mph, stay in a shelter and return when it's over.  Yeah, we
are a few blocks from the beach with big buildings in the way but
believe me..we will be behind concrete, everything WILL be covered with
plastic and if the winds climb to over 120 mph we will be in Tampa!
Good luck to you and all who read this...I pray for my friends in St.
Kitts and PR, hope to hear from them soon.  Ciao..Michael Huggins of
Michael and Marcie Huggins, Bay Harbor Islands FL.  PS the worst after
effect besides the traffic crazies was being without TV to see the
damage, radio just doesn't cut it.  The best (besides the strange
animals washed up on the beach) was the dark, quite nights without
power. It was warm but the stars shown and the candle light was nice.
Then the helicopters came, and the jeeps full of soldiers......