From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 00:29:20 -0400
Sarah,
  The fossil cowries are not all that rare in Florida, at least if the
number that have been donated to the Carnegie Museum is any indication.
Most of then seem to come from pits in Sarasota, and a site in DeSoto
County.  I'm sorry that I cannot be more precise with the locations, maybe
a Floridian can help us here.  On my only trip to Florida I found no
Cypraea.
  Numerous Cypraea have been named by Ed. Petuch of the Florida Atlantic
University.  You might want to check out some of his books.  Ed is a
splitter and I'm not sure what folks collecting Cypraea thing about all
the taxa he has erected.  Most of Ed's work has been in the
Florida-Caribbean area.

Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Assistant Professor - Family Medicine