From:
Carol Brunner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 14:00:05 EDT
Hello to all,l
Can someone help me please with some Turbinidae questions.  I purchased "Turbo
margaritaceus-Linne" in the 1970's with locality data of Thailand.  It is very
similar looking to T.argyrostoma but the operc is totally different. This
operc is smooth, with a white edge darkening to brown in the center.  One
outer edge of the operc has fine striations, almost like a fingerprint
pattern.  I have never seen this name in any books.  Recently I received a
Turbo from Thailand with no i.d. and it is identical to the margaritaceus,
including the operc.  Is margaritaceus a valid name or a synonym for another
species?  What is a good book for identification of Turbos?  So many of these
Turbos look so similar to me.  Thank you
Carol Brunner
Miami, Florida