From:
Michael Reagin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 09:19:10 -0400
     Hi all

     Petuch lists quite a number of Cypraea from South Florida in his book
     "Atlas of Florida Fossil Shells"  Using his stratigraphic
     designations, they are as follows:

     PINCREST FAUNA OF THE TAMIAMI FORMATION:  Siphocypraea cannoni, S.
     trippeana, S. transitoria, S. penningtonorum, S. parodizi, S.
     carolinensis, S. floridana, S. hughesi, S. kissimeensis, S. alligator,
     S. sarasotaensis, S. lindae, S. marilynae, S. crocodila, S.
     hertweckorum, S. ketteri, S. metae, S. kalafuti, S. pilsbryi, S.
     diegelae, Cypraea campbelliana

     CALOOSAHATCHEE FAUNA OF THE OKEECHOBEE FORMATION:  Siphocypraea
     mulepenensis and S. problematica

     GRIFFIN PIT UNIT OF THE OKEECHOBEE FORMATION:  Siphocypraea griffini

     BERMONT UNIT OF THE OKEECHOBEE FORMATION:  Cypraea morinis, C.
     portelli, C. spengleri

     FORT THOMPSON UNIT OF THE OKEECHOBEE FORMATION:  Cypraea cervus peilei

     In the Chipola Fomation of the Florida Panhandle I have found
     Cypraeorbis chilona and Cypraeorbis heilprini.  I have not yet however
     found Cypraeorbis tapeina from the Shoal River Fm.  There are quite a
     number of Eocene cypraeas that I have in some of my reference books
     that I have not found including Sulcocypraea vaughni from Mississippi,
     Sulcocypraea healyi from Alabama and Cypraeorbis ventripotens from
     Lousiana.  I have found several different species of Cypraea from both
     the Ingilis and Crystal River Formations (Ocala Ls.) of Central
     Florida, however most of these are internal casts.  One from the
     Crystal River Fm. I collected in matrix with both the external mold
     and internal cast.  I filled the mold with latex and when it dried was
     able to wrap it around the internal cast.  The original shell had
     heavy spiral lines across the shell (the subgenera escapes me at this
     moment).  I have also collected a species of Cypraea from the
     Oligocene Flint River Fm. of Georgia and received in a trade a Petuch
     described species Cypraeorbis kendrewi from the Oligocene Suwanee
     limestone of Florida.

     Michael Reagin
     Cleveland Heights, OH