From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 16:12:26 -0500
When I repair shells, usually fossils but occassionally recent shells, I
make sure that whatever I do to the shell can be undone by myself or
someone else.  Thus a permanent adhesive would not be something that I
would use.  I use a polymeric adhesive called Butvar-76.  It comes as a
powder that I dissolve in acetone to make a slightly thick slurry.  This
material dries clear but more importantly it can be removed.  By soaking a
specimen in acetone the Butvar is resolubalized and the specimen none the
worse for what I have done to it.  My basic approach, as they say in
medicine is, DO NO HARM!  Are there other adhesives, yes.  there are some
that are water soluble and others are soluble in alcohol (type?).  I could
look up information on these if anyone is interested.

Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Assistant Professor - Family Medicine