From:
Fred Schueler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2013 08:58:45 -0400
Quoting Marlo Krisberg <[log in to unmask]>:

> Let’s see if I can comment on everyone’s prior comment in one email.

* I've refrained from commenting, because we haven't been doing what
we've said we'd be doing as a combination of two technologies we've
used separately -

for 20 years we've been binding our original field notes, the output
of our computer database of observations, and copies of our grey
literature reports into volumes, using the archival services of a
local book binder - http://www.smithsfallsbookbinding.com/ this
preserves a hard copy of the data, for access as a book, and in case
the electronic copies are lost or corrupted.

...we've also been publishing our results in real time in a blog -
http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/ working - and compiling the
blog posts into books -
http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.ca/search/label/books -
published for on-demand printing with lulu.com -
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/karstad

The next step will be to publish the field notes in this way, so that
anyone or any library can order a copy - and these could be published
filtered or rearranged in any way - with 'set filter to class="aS"' it
could list only the mollucan records.

These books are inexpensive if black and white, but relatively
expensive if in colour, and the entire volume has to be in colour -
but books of plates could be published in a separate volume from the
text (as often referenced in discussions of old scanned publications).
The pdf version can be free. If I were running as faunal website, I'd
periodically put the content into such a book or books - we're
planning on putting our invertebrate book out as such a volume which
is currently just a rough pdf - http://pinicola.ca/invert_Tay.pdf

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          South Nation Basin Art & Science Book