From:
ferreter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 1998 06:00:17 -0500
Good morning all.
        I've collected several beautiful strombus (mostly pugilus and alatus) and
once home I scrubbed, boiled then bleached the shells to rid the shell of
debris,periostricum and other growths. Some specimens would go through this
process and I would have a gorgeous specimen suitible for the collection.
Unfortunatly a few strombs would come out with a deep white haze on the
dorsum.

        After many great suggestions I developed a method or process that produces
a great natural finish without too much effort. I realize that several of
us are against the use of acids, beach or in some cases the removal of any
growth at all, this process is not ment for you. For the rest of us who
have a drawer full of hazed specimens our day has come.

Before I get into this please follow the safety guidelines for the use of
hazardous chemicals.
1] read all intructions and precautions on the chemical container.
2] wear eye protection, heavy rubber or vinyl gloves and a long sleave
shirt.
3] beware of fumes , please ventilate your workspace.
4] use common sense.

Process is as follows:

Hold strombus dorsum side up and apply "ALL OUT" bath and kitchen with a
toothbrush, if you have problems keeping the acid from running into dorsum
please apply a thick coat of vasiline to the shinny parts of the aperture.
* the reason I use all out is that it is thicker and doesn't run as much
After acid has etched the haze from the dorsum rinse under cold water with
dorsum side up so water flows out and over the shell this will pervent the
acid from running into aperture, rinse until you can't smell the acid
anymore.
NEXT, emerse entire shell in a solution of 1tbsp of baking soda to 1cup of
water, this will nutralize any acid that has penatrated the shell. Set
shell aside to dry.

While holding shell firmly in one hand use course steel wood and buff the
etched dorsum, Soon you will see the natural shine come back. If there is
some etching aroung the spines the pull a small amount of steel wool off
and roll into a ball then hold in a foreceps and buff between the spines.
Last buff with a little mineral oil and the shell is now ready for the
cabinet.
Hop this helps and to those firing up the "REPLY' cannon, be nice and have
a great day.