From:
Don Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 01:37:06 -1100
Hi Paul, and Everybody,

When I brought the thing home, I called it squamosa, because
it had flutes and was more elongated than most of the photos
I had seen of gigas.  As re-browse my books, it looks like
you may be right.  I see one photo that is supposed to be
gigas that is pretty close.  I picked the thing up right outside
the Paradise Hotel in Vava'u, Tonga.  The reason I said
"smallish" is that there were some larger ones that weren't
as clean lying in the mud around this one.  I never see gigas
in Samoa, but most, or all of the other species are here.  I
guess its possible that gigas ranges into Tonga, though.

Cheers,

Don