From:
Peter Whipple <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 10:24:57 -0600
Lynn,
        You got it right.  Beach "stabilization" does not exist and sand migration
cannot be stopped, regardless of the claims of politicians.
        A surprising oversight (or I've missed it) to this discussion is the
ecological devastation at the source of the sand.  Yes, the intertidal and
shallow water species will be smothered by the sand pumped up and it's
something of a bonanza for shell collectors, getting fresh deeper water
specimens without getting their feet wet, but the ocean bottom where
they're pumping the sand from is going to be as must a wasteland as the
shoreline becomes.  Perhaps more, since I would suspects they pump from a
larger area than they're piling sand on.
        BTW, I have seen at least one area, in NJ I think (Cape May?), where you
have to pay a fee to go on the beach.

Peter