From:
ferreter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Dec 1997 13:49:49 -0800
i find it most distressing to see yet another fine publication start
sliding into the abyss of " out of circulation " . i recently read an
article on the conch-L about the rise and fall of the hawaiian shell news.
when my wife and i began collecting we viewed this publication with great
admiration. it's content always interesting, it's writing superb and the
depth and scope of the articles outstanding. it too went into decline and
now is only published on the internet. i am currently the publisher/editor
of the Greater Miami Shell Club's newsletter "The Mollusk". when i tokk
over it had begun the decline, first it was reduced to 4 pages then it was
to be published only 10 times a year. When i took over publication i first
brought it back to 12 issues a year and 8 pages per issue.
recently we had the suggestion to reduce to 10 issues again and i fought it
as i believe that for some out of state members and those who physically
can not attend meetings this is thier only access to the club. i found i
have many allies on this point.
        maybe what i'm getting at here is that the newsletter is the identity of
the organization and thus should reflect it's concerns and views , it needs
input from all members and in that way it stays strong and won't slip. if
there is anything that i could do to help another publication please ask as
i am always willing to help. ferreter