From:
Patty Jansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 22:44:28 +1100
Dear Kate and others,

I think that was wonderfully said, although I am not sure I agree with all
you said.

The way you describe them the Ecuadorian laws sound absolutely draconian,
and completely unworkable, thus useless.

In making laws for the protection of wildlife, government should recognise
that some people have interest in these things, and work with them rather
than to shut them out. People want to collect shells for whatever reason.
They will do this no matter what the law says. Why not make a law that will
make 99% of the collectors feel inclined to stick to? A law they feel
ownership of. A law that allows some collecting, but not too much,
collecting in some areas, but not in others, or something similar.

Patty
WWW: http://www.capricornica.com

Capricornica Publications               on-line natural history bookshop
P.O. Box 345
Lindfield NSW 2070

phone/fax: 02 9415 8098 international: +61 2 9415 8098

E-mail: [log in to unmask]