From:
Tom Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 15:40:54 -0700
Wes,

Thanks for the information.  I would love to do a little investigating into
the natural history of some of these fellows.  How do they find each other
to gather, how do they maintain position, are both sexes involved in the
same group, what is the purpose of the group, are the mechanisms the same
for the predators and the grazers, etc?   It would be a great study (never
mind the difficulties of any study under water as you have discussed).  The
shell is a beautiful and collectable item but the animal inside adds
intrigue.  Again, another reason why all of the live animal images featured
on the Hawaiian Shells News web page make it such a great read.  One of our
members on Conch-L keeps two aquariums with mollusks in them (Dan
Yoshimoto).  And I'll bet watching his Forreria belcheri attack and devour
its prey has just a touch of high (at the slug level) drama.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA