From:
Tom Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 09:40:34 -0700
Sher,

Hello yourself.  I no longer really have a favorite family.  I used to
concentrate on xenophora, strombus and nerites -- but anymore I just
latch on to what ever comes my way.  I still like those families of
course, but I am doing pretty well in each so I am branching out.  I
have some nice murex and I just started into the pectens.  If you are
getting ready to send some shells, does that mean you are going to have
to pay that $30 fee?  If you are sending some to anyone else is there a
way you could just send it all to me in one box and have me send it on
from here?  The postage would be no big thing, I wouldn't mind.  You
could either have separate boxes or just separate bags and tell me who
they go to.  That way you could cut way down on the $30 fee.  If you are
just getting some ready for me and its going to cost that much - hold
off and lets do it some other way or even just forget it.  It is not
fair that you get stuck with such a charge.  I will gladly pay half (and
with the exchange rate that might be pretty good!), but I can hear you
saying no even before my offer is there.  I really am serious, I would
gladly help you with this unfair burden.  So whatever way you want to go
is fine by me.  I am not sure how to say this, but I really will
understand if you just forget about it.  I try never to get too worked
up over shells -- especially ones I do not have.  Sometimes giving some
away to someone who appreciates them is better than getting some in the
mail -- well maybe not better than that, how about better than buying or
trading for some?  My point is relax, enjoy the shells, and think of us
poor landlocked types who only see the ocean on TV! .

I hope all is well down under.  You guys must be about through with
summer by now -- we still have a month or so of cold but most days are
gorgeous and sunny from here on in.  I have just made a contact in South
Africa who wanted to try trading a bit.  They only collect cones and
cowries so I need to send them a list of what I have.  The problem is
the extra cones and cowries were the first I traded off about one year
ago when I started trading since those are what every body wants.  But
we will see.  There is also a gal from your part of the world who is
selling shells (beach shells) on the internet auction "Ebay."  She
doesn't know anything about them and I wonder if she is getting stuck
with that charge.  Her shells only go for a couple of bucks each time
(lots of bivalve halves) so I bet she is not paying and just hasn't been
stopped yet like you were.

Take it easy,

Tom Eichhorst