From:
John Wolff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 13:24:02 -0500
I made a living for 32 years in this industry.

The main radiations emitted from TV's are heat (from the cabinet) and light
(from the front). In addition, younger persons may be able to hear some
high frequency sound (15 KHz and higher) from the deflection system.

There can also be some electro-magnetic and X-radiation. Since the
X-radiation is not beneficial (as opposed to medical X-rays), government
and industry standards were established in the 1960's to limit this
radiation to unmeasurable levels during normal operation, as well as
minimal levels during possible malfunction of the electronics. There should
be no concern about X-ray emission from TV's or monitors manufactured after
1962 or thereabouts.

However, "urban myths" die hard, as noticeable in our entire society.
Controlled experiments with plants may show that temperature, humidity, and
light conditions are likely the major variables.

There is, of course, possible danger to people' s eyes from either sitting
too close, or too long, and staring at a screen. The major danger however,
in my opinion, is brain damage from the content of TV programs  :-)

John Wolff
2640 Breezewood Dr.
Lancaster, PA 17601, U.S.A
717- 569-6955 (voice)