From:
Stewart Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 08:15:30 -0500
For what it's worth....

The version of the Poe story which I choose to believe is in an article I
wrote several yeara ago, which said:

"Edgar Allen Poe was the innocent subject of a literary scandal in the
mid-nineteenth century.  He wrote an introduction to "The Conchologist's
First Book" in 1839, and the publisher, to promote sales, attributed the
entire book to him.  Poe, unjustly accused of plagiarism, was subjected to
the wrath of the literary world."

Unfortunately, I can't quote the authenticating source for this.  I know
that it was in a book in the Sanibel Library (and on page 239, no less!),
but at this point I can't cite the name of the book or the author.  It may
be worth another trip to Sanibel to find out!  Any excuse is good enough for me.

sj