From:
Aaron Baldwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 00:14:17 -0900
Dear Peter (and anyone else interested),

The module quicktime.qts is a file in your system folder that Netscape uses
in connection with the Quicktime.qtx (extension file) to load Quicktime
movies, sounds, and pictures, from the web. While I don't know your exact
problem, but here's some ideas. The Conchoscopy & Molluscation page plays a
midi file upon opening. If, in your Netscape preferences you have another
application (like QT) set to open midis, this could cause a general
protection fault in the QT module. If you use NS 4 or higher, go to
"edit->preferences->navigator->applications" then scroll down the list and
see what applications handle quicktime and which handle midis and wavs.

Another possibility is that QT itself has a problem. It's always a good idea
to troubleshoot problems with a program module by re-installing the program.
If it doesn't fix the problem, then at least you know one thing that's
probably not wrong.

Another possibility is that another application (maybe even QT?) is hanging
up your sound card. One of the difficulties of imbedded sound files in web
pages is that they want all of your sound card. This is not normally a
problem, unless you launch another application that also wants your sound
card. This actually happened to me backwards from Peter's problem. When I
was viewing Mariah's page, I left it open while I worked on some other
things. My son fired up a game, (C&C), which wanted the sound card. Next
thing you know, "C&C.exe caused a general protection fault in module...." I
would think if Netscape could crash another program, then another program
using the resource could crash Netscape(?).

Just a few suggestions. Take care- Aaron
Aaron Baldwin
Juneau, Alaska
http://www.ofseaandshore.com