From:
Aaron Baldwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 17:26:50 -0900
Dear Conch-lers,

Please let's not start this again. All operating systems have their
advantages and disadvantages. All operating systems are subject to crash
under certain certain conditions, dependant upon system configuration,
installation settings, or just random dumb luck. I have professionally
installed Win 98 on over 40 computers, and yes, a few have had problems but
overall it has been the most trouble-free operating system yet (that doesn't
mean best, just it tends to have less problems for the novice user).

There exists a fine balance in computer systems between what is the most
stable and most functional and what can be used by the most people right out
of the box. I have seen nearly flawless, one of a kind Linux networks. Of
course, no one but the owner/designer could make them work. The other
extreme is the commercially packaged os's like win 98 or the various Mac OS
packages. They offer ease of use, but come with bugs that may or may not be
fixable.

It's just important to realize that one person's experience or opinions
about an operating system may not be anothers.

At 08:21 PM 2/25/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Mark must not have seen my warning about upgrading to Windows 98!!!  I have
>had to buy a new computer--and I'm not the first one this has happened to
>when I upgraded from 95 to 98.
>
>Carol Simpson
>Chapin, SC

Aaron Baldwin