From:
Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 13:42:41 -0500
Regarding John's message down below:

My wife was also a teacher for several years. It was what she wanted to do.
She loved working with the children who were there willing to learn (and
even those who didn't care, but behaved themselves). Unfortunately, the
stress of having to deal with totally undisciplined students caused her to
give it up. What a shame that those who truly wanted to learn from a person
who wanted to teach now have lost a teacher. Over and over again she heard
the same thing: My child would not behave this way; My child isn't the
problem--you are.

I personally learned a lot more at home and at the library than I ever did
from 98% of my teachers, but I did learn social skills. But the great
teachers made the difference to me. Even if they failed me in some course
for some reason, they were always supportive and caring. But they were also
firm and at the time, able to hand out tough discipline, including some
physical restraint when it was deserved. I never saw a teacher abuse a
child or his authority. When I got into trouble (very rarely) it was always
my fault. It's time for SOME parents to take some responsibility. Most do,
but the ones who will not make it impossible for everyone else to benefit
from what should be a valuable experience.

Several years ago, I met a man who happened to be a student along with me
in the 5th grade. He was constantly being disciplined back then (in fact,
paddled a few times). To this day, he says that was the best teacher and
role model he ever had. Hmmm . . .

Okay, enough on this from John and I. For pete's sake, let's talk about shells
. . . When's the next low tide??

Jim Miller
Tallahassee, Florida

>I just have to add this one little thing about school.  There is nothing
>wrong with learning at home, but think of all the things you are missing by
>not going to school, you first are not learning how to interact with
>people.  You miss out on all the many things that go on in school that you
>are not being taught at home.  My son-in-law is a teacher in Sarasota, he
>has the same problem with kids that do not want to learn, he calls himself
>a gloriefied baby sitter.  He also try to forget about these "KIDS?"  and
>teach the ones that really want to learn.  Soould he have to quit because
>the parents do not teach their children how to behave, I think not, he is
>one of the best in what he teaches. and I have hear this from different
>people, my kid would not do that, how do you know, you are not in those
>classes, you might try it some time go to the school and see just how your
>kid behaves in class, you might change your minds.  The teacher tries to
>teach, but he/she cannot do it all.  Off my soap box.  John Bernard
>Tennessee

Jim Miller
Tallahassee, Florida