From:
Mary Cecile Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 18:07:58 EST
Dear all,
It's been so inspiring to read all this mail about what you are all doing with
kids, both your own and with others in museums.  I've chosen to bring up my
two kids without TV and video, (except very occasional well chosen ones) and I
think they are happier, more peaceful kids because of it.  I also send them to
a Waldorf school, which encourages all the parents choosing this school to
unplug the media and instead give children first-hand experiences in nature,
and surround them with things made from natural materials rather than brightly
colored plastic toys.  The purpose is to  allow for the development of a sense
of reverence for the natural world, and their place in it.  I just gave my
four year old a small collection of shells, in fact the very ones I started my
collection with, and she likes to find their pictures in  books - she's
surprisingly good at it!  So reading about all the great things many of you
are doing, sharing shells and natural history with kids has given me hope that
there are lots of children out there in the world whose lives will be touched
by those encounters, and it WILL make a difference.
Regards,
Mary Graham

Mary Cecile Graham
Wilton, NH 03086