From:
"Harry G. Lee, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 11:32:08 -0500
Dear Nancy et al.,

I have a suite of a couple dozen live-taken specimens fom an oysterbar (of
the intertidal, not seafood restaurant, type) in our fair city (Jax), all of
which have three brownish spiral bands on ther body whorl (two on spire
whorls as opposed to the one found on Cancellaria reticulata spires).  The
background is yellowish cream as is the interior of the aperture.  The
breadth of the spirals varies considerably thus creating a rather attractive
array of specimens of a generally jejune species.  It seems that this
population had no individuals which produced (typologically) "normal" shells.

Although Say (1822) failed to mention banding in his Fusus cinereus shells,
his illustration (1831) shows two faint narrow dark spiral bands on the body
whorl.

Harry

At 10:16 AM 3/6/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Dr. Harry Lee or others who may know,
>A friend of mine has found what I believe to be a Urosalpinx cinerea (SAY) .
>He found two in Oct 1993 within one week of each other and none since.
>It fits all the known descriptions that I can find that fit the Atlantic
Oyster Drill
>except it is banned with dark brown strips.The banding is almost perfect to
all pictures
>that I have of Cancellaria reticulata (L). Also, the interior is pure white
not violet or brownish
>as described in most books for the drill. These shells where found live on
Harbor Island
>near Johnson's Creek, Beaufort, SC.
>Any help would be appreciated.
>Everett Long
Harry G. Lee
mailto: [log in to unmask]
Suite 500, 1801 Barrs Street
Jacksonville, FL  32204
U. S. A.    904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm