From:
"Harry G. Lee, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 18:47:47 -0500
Dear Kay and Tom,

There is a prodigious work entitled "Treatise on invertebrate paleontology,"
which has dealt with numerous phyla.  Among the mollusca, only the
cephalopods and bivalves have been treated intensively, and, although this
was considered a work-in-progress, I sense that the cast of contributors and
editor haven't maintained the enterprise, which you can see was desultory at
its best.  These are the references (in tedious detail because the titles
somewhat reveal contents):

Moore, R. C. (ed.), 1957.  Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology Part L.
Mollusca 4. Ammonoidea. Geological Society of America & Univ. Kansas Press,
Boulder, CO and Lawrence KS. xxii + pp. 1-490.

Moore, R. C. (ed.), 1960.  Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology Part I.
Mollusca 1. Mollusca - general features, Scaphopoda, Amphineura,
Monoplacophora, Gastropoda - general features, Archaegastropoda, mainly
Paleozoic Caenogastropoda and Opisthobranchia. Geological Society of America
& Univ. Kansas Press, Boulder, CO and Lawrence KS. xxiii + pp. 1-351.

Moore, R. C. (ed.), 1964.  Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology Part K.
Mollusca 3. Cephalopoda - general features, Endoceratoidea, Actinoceratoidea,
Nautiloidea, Bactritoidea. Geological Society of America & Univ. Kansas
Press, Boulder, CO and Lawrence KS. xxviii + pp. 1-519.

Moore, R. C. (ed.), 1969.  Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology Part N.
Mollusca 6. Bivalvia. vols. 1 & 2. Geological Society of America & Univ.
Kansas Press, Boulder, CO and Lawrence KS. xxxviii + pp. 1-952.

Moore, R. C. (ed.), 1971.  Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology Part N.
Mollusca 6. Bivalvia. vol. 3. Geological Society of America & Univ. Kansas
Press, Boulder, CO and Lawrence KS. iv + pp. 1-272.

The detailed parts of these volumes treat (and illustrate) every generic
unit, much like Thiele or Wenz/Zilch.  Vaught's work is unillustrated.

Harry

>I think the book you mentioned was written by Kay Cunningham Vaught. I
can't think of any work on fossil molluska that would be as comprehensive as
Ms. Vaught's, but
>she did hint in the preface that she may do a second volume on fossils.
Perhaps someone on CONCH-L could tell us if she is preparing such a work.

>T M Walker wrote:
>
>> Can anyone tell me if there is a book giving a systematic listing of
fossil molluscs along similar lines to Emily Vokes "A Classification of the
Living Mollusca?

>> If not, where can a find some references to such systematic listings that
are fairly up to date?

>> Tom Walker
>> Reading, England
Harry G. Lee
mailto: [log in to unmask]
Suite 500, 1801 Barrs Street
Jacksonville, FL  32204
U. S. A.    904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm