From:
Fred Vervaet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 11:22:52 +0100
Maurizio,

I think you got a point there. I find it also very difficult
to put the right name to a species and, more interesting,
find out variable a species (for me reticularis) is. I have
looked into detail into the reticularis-complex from the
Caribean and ended up with the conclusion that it is impossible
to say whether it is one or more than one species. Nevertheless,
it can not be denied that there are a lot of differences between
the shells,even shells from the same locallity. I saw this
especially with reticlularis from Curacao and the Dominican
Republic. What I try to do now is to collect series of shells
from a locality so I can see the local variability which, I hope,
gives me a better understanding of the complex.

If you self collect the shells,it is easy to find the variables.
If you need shells from other localities from dealers the
confusions starts. If possible I ask the dealer for a selection
of shells from a certain locality to find out what the differences
are. But the practical problem is that is very difficult to find
the different forms. They are either labelled as a seperate species
under an "old" name or not seperated at all. It would be nice if
there would be some agreement how to label different forms from the
same locality, for instance by naming them as (colour)form from a
locality. For instance, Oliva reticularis cf Willemstad 1. In this
way you can make a difference between the real reticularis and the
onces which are slightly distinctive. This gives someone the
possibility to select forms or the "real" reticularis.

On the basis of shells from difficult localities I try to follow the
gradual change in the form.

Regards,

Fred L.J. Vervaet
Amsterdam, the Netherlands