From:
Aydin Orstan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 10:22:32 -0500
Sam,
Whether or not the U.S. Post Office requires contents declaration on all
packages sent to foreign countries is a question I have not been able to
answer satisfactorily. Last year I mailed one paperback book and a small
envelope of shells to European countries & on neither occasion was I asked to
declare contents. On one occasion the postal clerk told me that I didn't have
to declare contents of packages weighing less than half a pound. But a few
months ago when I mailed a package weighing less than that to Canada, I had
to declare the contents. On that occasion the clerk told me that the contents
of all packages regardless of their weight had to be declared. Then he added,
very seriously: "A person could be mailing a bomb".

I have a feeling that depending on the mood or knowledge of a postal clerk,
one may sometimes be able to send small packages to foreign countries withot
having to declare contents.

A.