From:
Patty Jansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 09:54:20 +1100
I fully second Marlo and John in their comments regarding the existence of
material on the web.

These are some of my points:

1. People prefer to read things on paper, so if anything is available on
paper, having a web site with some of the material will only act as
advertising.
2. Material that is less in demand may be successfully published on the
web. When a web site proves to be really successful, the author might
consider putting the material on CDROM, or even in print. How is that for
market testing?
3. I treat the web as public property. If you put anything on there, expect
it to be stolen, pilfered, plagiarised or just plainly used by someone
else. It's like when you send out an advertising brochure, you'd be amazed
where they end up, photocopied and all.
4. The web is an advertising medium (not necessarily commercial). Treat it
as such. Without the web, my business would not exist.
5. The web will continue to operate the way it does, so publishers had
better get used to it.

That's my two bob's worth

Patty

WWW: http://www.capricornica.com

Capricornica Publications               on-line natural history bookshop
P.O. Box 345
Lindfield NSW 2070

phone/fax: 02 9415 8098 international: +61 2 9415 8098

E-mail: [log in to unmask]