From:
caddigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:20:49 -0500
PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT DRINK RUBBING ALCOHOL!

I checked on this today and my suspicions and fears were confirmed.
Rubbing alcohol is isopropyl alcohol, not ethanol. Most versions are
70% solutions in pure distilled or deionized water. IT IS POISONOUS.

Ingestion  will cause severe diarrhea and stomach cramps. Loss of
mucosa in the intestines may also occur, with concommitant bleeding.

Small amounts such as in the residues left on thermometers in
the doctor's office do not cause difficulties.

Most likely these people are thinking about denatured alcohol, which
is ethanol with benzene in trace amounts. This can be cleaned up by
redistillation and is known as "moonshine".

I just do not want anyone to interpret things in the wrong manner
and test with rubbing alcohol for purposes of consumption.

Take care and happy shelling,

De Caddigan
Port St. Lucie, Florida