From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 15:59:36 -0700
I have a couple of shells in my collection that I just cannot ID.
Perhaps some of you could point me in a possible direction (when I have
finally obtained all the shell books I will need I won't be bugging you
all with this basic stuff):

1.  This one is large (about 4" long) and looks like a member of the
Melongenidae - it looks most like a picture of Volema tuba in the
Eisenberg book.  The outer surface is fairly smooth and cream colour
with some pale brownish colouration as well.  The interior is pink.  Is
there any other shell this could be besides V. tuba?  I don't know it's
provenance.
2. I have two others that look very similar to the above, only they are
smaller, maybe 2", paler and they may have come from Florida (in a box
of unidentified shells).
3.  A bivalve that looks like it belongs in Mytilidae - it is about 2"
long and has a fairly typical shape (like M. edulis) but it has a pale
golden periostracum over a white shell. There is very little
irridescence on the inside It is fairly thin.  Again, I don't know where
it is from.
Maybe some more serious collectors wonder why I bother with shells of
unknown provenanace, but my collection is still small, and I hate to
discard nice-looking shells.  I'd rather face the challenge of trying to
figure them out.  Maybe over time they can be replaced with others that
have more complete labelling.
Thanks in advance for any leads you might pass on.
Nora Bryan
Calgary, Alberta
CANADA