From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:14:04 -0700
If the matrix is limestone and the fossil is silicified then an acid bath
might work.  Joe has prepared lots of fossils this way, and when he gets back
from the field he will give you more details if you like.  How do you tell if
the matrix is limestone ?  Get some acid - muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid)
from a paint/hardware store is good and put a few drops on the matrix.  If it
fizzes, it's limestone.  Your fossil is probably silicified if it is much
harder than the matrix (scratch each with a knife).  Scratch a fossil that
you don't care about.  Also the fossil won't fizz if it is silicified.  If
you are successful with these tests you may be able to put the rock in the
acid and dissolve the matrix away.  I'm not familiar with the exact steps for
success here, but I'll get Joe to give you more details.
If you don't have the above scenario you may not be able to get the fossil
out.  If you can get most of the matrix off, then using something like a
Dremel tool may help.