From:
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:51:01 -0700
Emilio,

Read the conch story Michael referenced and you will see that, yes
people do just that ("meat pulling").  I have encountered more than one
person who would gladly capture and sell the last breeding pair of
whatever rare species you want to name, just for the money.
Unfortunately, I do not believe collecting pressure is the villain in
the decline of Strombus gigas, the queen or pink conch.  Every bit of
evidence (admittedly anecdotal) points to loss of habitat.  But still I
am ready to believe there are folks who would collect every single pink
conch out of a bay, knowing the illegality of the act.

Tom Eichhorst in New mexico, USA