From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 03:11:32 -0300
        Looks like i tackled a very sensitive topic.  Sorry Ed and anyone else
i may have offended - it was not my intent to call anyone dishonest: I
just have a thing about laws, and perhaps i should keep my opinions to
myself if i think (and i did- i am not THAT niave!!) that it will
probably change few opinions, and might stir up hard feelings.  I'll
probably continue the very practice i have condemned, since it could
mean a signifigant loss of business to "go straight" as it were (sorry
Kate - i am human too.), so i should not have said anything in the first
place, for obvious reasons.  I resent having to violate many  of the
principles i try to live by, in order to not lose business, but....(fill
in anything you like, it is very probably true.)
        Re trades: the laws of all countries i know of, apply to trades as well
- but my point was that it is more  difficult to assign a monetary value
to a trade item than to one sold directly, and while i think the tax
laws are just and fair (their purpose is not only to bring revenue to
governments, but charging tax on items bought outside the country is
only fair to local business, since why should people buy from them and
pay up to 20% tax, when they could just purchase from an international
dealer and pay no tax at all??), i do not think taxing traded goods is
fair or reasonable - it is hard on poor people who might have something
of large "nominal value" (ie, something they could not easily sell for
any reasonable "book value"), it doesn/t represent a signifigant
percentage of international trade, and it doesnt help national dealers,
since they can trade within their own country without having to pay
taxes.  What i meant with the "trades don't count" remark, was that they
are much more problematic in the context being discussed, than
straight-forward sales.

        I hope things are clear now.  That said, i do not think we should just
refrain from discussing certain things because they might be
controversial: as long as we can avoid any personal comments (other than
compliments, ie!) or emotional outbursts, i think we can, and SHOULD
feel free to air our opinions about, and to discuss anything at all
which relates to Conchology: This is, after all, the place to do it!
-Ross M.