From:
"Harry G. Lee, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 18:16:35 -0400
In a recent report (Vermeij, G. J., 1998.  Generic revision of the
neogastropod family Pseudolividae. Nautilus 111(2): 53-84, Feb. 17),
Strepsidura (type S. turgida (Solander in Brander, 1766)) was acknowledged
as the type genus of Strepturidae (note spelling) Cossmann, 1901.  Vermeij
separated this family from the Pseudolividae Cossmann, 1901 by its lack of a
pseudolivid groove (a narrow but distinct subperipheral trench), lack of a
labral (outer lip) tooth, and the presence of a reflected parietal callus.

Vermeij placed the Psedolividae in the Muricoidea and just stopped short of
assigning the Strepturidae to the vicinity of the Olividae (Volutoidea?)
based on the conchological similarity of strepturids to the Recent (Southern
African) Melampium, the anatomy of which is close to olivid (Kantor, Y.,
1991 On the morphology and relationships of some oliviform gastropods.
Ruthenica 1: 17-52.).

These papers illustrate the value of combining conchological (which includes
fossils), soft anatomical, and molecular (the latter two essentially limited
to living taxa) perspectives in constructing phylogenies. Clearly there are
revolutions ahead, but informed conchology certainly is a mainstay in this
modern scientific synthesis.

Harry

At 01:28 PM 4/8/99 +0200, you wrote:
>> ----------

Harry G. Lee
mailto: [log in to unmask]
Suite 500, 1801 Barrs Street
Jacksonville, FL  32204
U. S. A.    904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm