From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 18:58:10 -0400
Scott, and all,

Pardon my prickliness on the matter, but:

The COA Bulletin was officially rechristened American Conchologist in 1987
by Tucker Abbott. I don't know why the name shift has been so difficult for
people to notice and remember, but here we are, 12 years and 48 issues
later, still calling it the COA Bulletin. You didn't do anything wrong,
Scott, and I am not criticizing you. I know it is a habit, and you are
certainly not alone in this habit. And in the overall scheme of things, I
don't suppose it is so very important.

But sometimes, as editor, I get to feeling in the throes of an identity
crisis. From time to time I even get emails from people asking to subscribe
to the COA Bulletin.  I guess I think it would be best for the reknown of
American Conchologist if it were known under its current name; the duality
is confusing. So please please try to remember, everyone! American
Conchologist.

Just to clarify, for anyone who doesn't know, it is indeed a publication of
the Conchologists of America, an accompaniment of one's membership in the
organization, though no longer just a bulletin of organizational
information with some shell articles thrown in.

Otherwise, Scott, the idea of photographing the confiscated shells is a
great one, and we would be pleased to have photos for American Conchologist
if any exist!, no matter what name you call it by. Thanks for thinking of us.

Lynn Scheu
Louisville, Kentucky, Home of the 1999 COA COnvention and the American
Conchologist.