From:
Worldwide <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 00:43:24 -0600
At 10:51 PM 3/2/98 EST, Unio wrote:
        <condensed>
>      So since family involvement as a topic has just sort of "evolved", I'd
>like to hear from others who are involved in the hobby as a family.  Share
>your family experiences.
>
>Doug Shelton
>Mobile, Alabama

As a way to interest my 2-1/2 year old daughter with shells, a little more
than 6 months ago I gave her a box shells with a number of hand-size
species with bright colors and bold patterns.   Soon after that she did a
show-and-tell with her shells at pre-school.  That led to her asking me
more questions about the shells.  Noticing that she loves to play games
that involve matching objects, I started to play an interesting game with
her where she matches shells to the pictures in shell books.

The one she enjoys the most is opening Len Hill's book, "Shells - Treasures
of the Seas" to pages 176-177, and 186-187, which are two page spreads
illustrating groups of a 100 or so shells.  I lay out about 10 shells that
are illustrated on those pages and she matches up the shell to the pictures
on the page.  While matching up the shells, which she has been getting
about 90 to 95% correct, I've been teaching her the genus names of the
shells.  She knows how to say and recognize Conus, Cypraea, Oliva, Liguus,
Volute, and a few others.

Kids at her age seem to love to match things.  You ought to try it with
your 2 and 3 year old kids or grand kids.  What better way for them to
learn about shells and gain an appreciation for them.  Start them out
matching the shells.  Then see if they have any interest in learning the
names.

My daughter is also a seasoned field collector having taken quite a few
family excursions to the ocean around the country, and hikes into the
forested areas here in Maryland.  We always manage to find some time to
look for shells.  Her favorite hike locally is to look for snails and clams
in a stream across from my house.

She has been taking water-baby swim lessons since she's been one year old,
so we well expect that when the time is right, snorkeling will be her next
pursuit.

I've mentioned this before.  I do not force any of this on her.  I let her
natural curiosity guide the amount of shell related activities we involve
her in.  I guess bringing her to a COA convention at 7 weeks old did rub
off on her a little.

Rich