From:
"Robert S. Prezant" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 07:33:42 -0400
I don't have the references at my fingertips but Mel Carriker did
some work on spine dissolution and reformation in muricids.  Also,
acids are involved in dissolution of shell (via the accessory boring
organ) in various oysterdrills and moonsnails.  This secretion, I
believe, also incorporated enzymes (protein enzymes) and calcium
chelators.    Bob