Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 23:21:44 -0400
Although not shell related, this phenomena is worth a little more exploration
 because were it not for hard drives, we wouldn't be here on Conch-L!

 Anyone notice a pattern to these drive failures, like the same brand name
drive or computer,
 owner doesn't occasionally perform virus or cleanup scans, owner leaves
computer on
all the time, owner turns it off/on frequently, owner's shell collection
has or had Byne's
Disease, owner cleans shells in close proximity to computer, owner uses a
collection management
software package that is new, a beta version and still being debugged,
owner downloads files
 from the Internet frequently, owner square dances in the room where
computer is set up,
 owner lives in an area where U.S. adversaries beam high powered microwave
jamming signals
 to upset U.S. sugar and cigar producing industries, etc.

Seeing the beginning of the Y2K programming error is like seeing the early
symptoms
of a gunshot wound. Drive failures are explained another way.
I thought Y2K blame hype was coming, but Y1.999K-August is stretching it a
little.

 Good discussion though on backup and recovery actions.

 George