Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 00:24:50 EDT
There is a evidence that other processes have acted on the evolution of
animals to get the diversity we see today. The processes described by
microevolution do not encompass these things that give rise to these new
innovations which give rise to new higher taxonomic groups. If we were to use
Art's idea, "What appears to be "Macro" is simply "Micro" given enough time
to make spectacular changes." Then why haven't we seen any new body plans at
the phylum level since the Cambrian radiation. The lesson of mice is a great
example of population biology but this does not show any sign that a new
inovation in body plan to solve the problem.  Many scientists are still
trying to find these "macro"evolutionary processes. Some scientists have
proposed some of the mechanisms in which this can occur, for example gene
co-option has been proposed to be one such source of these "innovations".

Ltr,
Emilio