From:
Stanley Francis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 17:47:06 -0400
I was very interested in Andrew  Rindsberg's comments on how we can
contribute to the collation of data, and how one can develop the interest
and awareness of  the general public in  the 'world of conchology'.  In the
British Isles The Nature Conservancy Council have produced for many years
now a Sea Area Atlas of Marine Molluscs of Britain and Ireland.  This
volume is edited by Denis R Seaward for the Conchological Society.  For
this purpose the waters around Britain and Ireland have been divided up
into 40 areas, each of which has an Area Representative (professional and
amateur) who organises work within and keeps records for that area.On this
atlas there is a map of Britain and Ireland for every variety of Mollusc
recorded, and one can see at a glance where the shell is found and if it
was found live post 1950, live pre-1951 or as a shell only,- any date.  It
is a very useful publication for anyone  interested in British shells.  I
was wondering whither there are any similiar atlases produced for any of
the sea areas around the United States ?  If not, -  I appreciate that the
geographical areas are so much larger, so it would have to be organised on
a 'State basis',  but the end result is very worthwhile, and it is an
opportunity for serious amateur collectors to make a real contribution  for
posterity.

Yours Stanley Francis
(Belfast)