From:
Kay Lavalier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 17:27:09 -0400
Andrew Vik

John:

Several years ago, I read about a species of desert shrub in the southwest US
that had been dated at around 14,000 years old. This plant starts out as a
normal looking bush. As it grows outward, the original mass in the middle
dies. This process eventually leads to a large ring of scrub with bare earth
in the middle. The researchers dug up the semi fossilized original stumps at
the center of the rings and did carbon dating to arrive at the 14,000 year
mark. While it is true that the original plant had died long before, the
entire ring came from just one seed sprouting a very long time ago.

Andrew