From:
Betty and Bob Lipe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 19:53:27 -0800
Sylvia S Edwards wrote:

> You can buy acid at the drugstore - ask you pharmacist.  Or try a
> swimming pool chemical company.
>
> I have a large, beautifully colored Lion's Paw (_Lyropecten nodosus_)
> that has some coral growth on the nodes.  Does anyone know what it would
> do to the shell if I tried to grind it off with a Dremel tool?  Would the
> shell be damaged underneath?  It is in perfect condition except for that.
>
> Sylvia Edwards
Sylvia,  Remember the lion's paw knobs are hollow, and you will go
through it very easily, so be careful.  Picking with a dental tool is
also not advisable.  I have messed up a few that way.  It seems that no
one likes acid, but a mild toilet bowl cleaner and a Q tip will do a
pretty good job, and it will work a little at a time.  If the coral
growth is thick, you may have to go with pool acid.  Remember this stuff
is dangerous to your health.  Breath the fumes and you may not care
about the shell or anything else.

Bob Lipe