From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 09:23:34 -0400
Robert Robertson's article, A Spiny Murex," in the current American
Conchologist (September) has most of its pictures misidentified.
Editorial board members Tom Watters and Harry Lee pointed this out to
us, and Robert Robertson, author; Ross Gundersen, photo editor; and I,
editor, each of us demands portions of the blame, to the total of about
250%. The shell identified as Murex cabritii is in fact a Panamic
species, Murex ruthae. And the shell with the drill hole pictured as
Lucina muricata is the ordinary Codakia orbiculata. However, the shell
pictured as Murex brandaris, through some slip-up along the way, is
actually Murex brandaris. We'll try to do better next time.

And speaking of mistakes, in attempting to transfer files from one
computer to another (this experience is so ongoing that I think it will
be a part of my everyday existence for life!) I have just deleted all
478 messages in my in-box. Instead of going out and jumping off
something high (all I could find was the porch steps...it's pretty level
around here.) I decided to throw myself on your mercies.  Yes, that
sounds like a lot of emails.  Some are related to family and other
interests. But I'd just been reading the have-to stuff and postponing
action on bigger jobs and article til the new computer was up and
running. (Ha!) So it was all stored there temporarily, including
articles sent via attachment, etc.  (We won't go into how I did the
fatal transfer.) In any case, if you had written me about anything at
all at [log in to unmask] since late August, please resend or write
again. I know this includes lots of you... Bruce Neville, Peter
Demertzis, Tom Eichhorst! (In fact, Tom, did you engineer the whole
thing because of my dig at herps yesterday?)Well, I won't even attempt a
recap...it gives me the shudders. If, however, you wrote me prior to
that (any time this summer, that is) and got no response, it is likely
that my old NetCom service was the culprit and not I. They were losing
emails to and from me at an appalling rate of success!   So write again
or resend in any case. Help!!

Thanks for your patience in this time of multiple failures,

Lynn Scheu
Louisville, KY
American Conchologist