From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 08:35:32 -0400
The question as to whether to "oil" shells or not is an interesting one.
I recently posted a similar question to the Natural History Collections
discussion group.  Museums , from a limited response to the inquiry, do
not treat shells.  They generally accept them as they are and depend on
storage conditions to preserve the periostracum.  The storage conditions
of concern are temperature and relative humidity.
  Of concern to museums is what has been done to a specimen in their care.
If a specimen in a museum is glued, "oiled" or treated in any other manner
it is important for that to be noted.  A shell that has been oiled will no
longer be useful for certain types of biochemical studies.  Occasionally,
shells are requested from the Carnegie for "destructive testing".  A
researcher wants to compare current shell chemistry to what was present
100 years ago.  An oiled shell would be useless for this project because
of the possible contaminants that may have been introduced via the oil.
This is not to say someone should not oil a shell.  It does suggest that
you document that on the label that accompanies the shell.  this way
anyone in the future knows the "history" of the specimen.
  Lighter fluid is generally a form of Naptha.  These are small chain
hydrocarbons that are used as organic solvents.  They help the oil
penetrate into the surface of the shell and then evaporate.  They should
be used in a well ventilated area, away from any risk of sparking.  The
rare times when I used this technique I did it under a fume hood (when
done in a lab) or outdoors in my backyard (when done at home).
  Again, I would like to point out, less I get flamed, the shells you own
are yours to do with as you like.  However, if you foresee donating them
at some point to a museum, or if you just want to practice good
curatorial technique, please document what you do to a shell and keep that
information with the shell.  Even oiled shells will be of use to museums
for displays, study collections, education, etc. etc.

Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh, PA
Assistant Professor - Family Medicine