From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 11:39:31 -0500
I have experience with cowries that confirms what Bob says...live
collected cowries, purchased but with animal still inside, that are
green. Cypraea arabica among others. They have gotten a coating of
algae...perhaps they were a bit off their feed for a while and didn't
come out of their shells?  Anyway, then they got well and covered the
algae with a new and transparent layer of nacre. Bright green when
purchased. Don Pisor once years ago had a bunch of green arabicas from
the Philippines. I have seen one of the South African cowries in green
too, fuscodentata, I think.  They DO fade to gray after a while.
Sunlight no doubt, and I don't  think there's a way to bring the green
back.

Lynn Scheu
Louisville, KY
American Conchologist